Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter

Yesterday was Easter. All I could think about was how I could get across to my girls the true meaning of Easter. The night before we made the story of Easter Cookies. It has the ingredients and along with that there are scriptures that go with each ingredient. So as you make the cookies you read the scriptures, for example with the vinegar you Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 teaspoon of vinegar into the mixing bowl. Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross he was given vinegar to drink. Read John 19:28-30. Then you put the cookies in the oven and you have to wait until morning to have them and when you bite into them they are hollow to represent the empty tomb. I think the girls really got something out of it. Usually the Easter bunny comes before church, but I made them wait this year. And we talked several times through out the day about the meaning of Easter I want them to be able to enjoy the festivities but I also want them to be grateful for the reasons we celebrate them.
Also during church in one of the lessons someone shared this message and I just wanted to share it also. I hope it touches you as it did me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFhS0dAduc

1 comment:

nadiaanne said...

How cool! This sounds like such a good idea. I'm going to have to do some of these things sometime.